The Citizen Planner online program covers the core tasks associated with being a Planning Official. The online program started as a project to convert classroom based lectures into online modules.
The program is made up of seven independent study online modules. Each module has four to eight units with an anticipated completion time of 1 hour. The seven modules and their units are sequenced to allow learning to build and expand from one module to the next. The program has since been expanded to include five special topics modules currently in development.
As instructional designer, project manager, and information architect, I was instrumental in establishing and executing the following:
- Redesign of the program content structure
- Module and unit content structures
- Content layout/learning strategies
- Content organization and instructional quality
- Coordinate the efforts of the web production team
- Project plans, schedules, and budgets
The program is hosted in the Angel Learning Management System utilizing the library functionality. As of March 2008, 43 units have been launched and 15 more will be launched by June 2008.